07 June 2009

Magic bus

I was fortunate enough to see 2 Many DJs at Manchester Academy last night. My goodness but they were amazing. They are the DJ element of the band Soulwax, whom I love. They mix such an eclectic range of music - we heard Depeche mode, AC/DC, the soundtrack to Fame, Mozart, Soulwax (obviously), The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Salt n Pepa, Billy Joel..... Who would have thought that mixing Uptown girl and Push it together would work. Who would have considered mixing Saturday night fever with Mozart's 5th. Who would have imagined that a crowd of ravers would sing AC/DC's Dirty deeds done dirty cheap and the soundtrack to Fame in one DJ set (or indeed at all). Certainly not I. I did expect to hear Soulwax's E-talking and The Gossip's Standing in the way of control, yet the reality of hearing them live overtook my expectations. Although very tired and sober - I threw random shapes, I vibed in the zone, I pointed and shook (see my Pointing and Shaking blog for explanation of this), my hands were in the air, I waved my water bottle at the stage, I tied my coat around my waist (the cloakroom was full, of coats - how strange), I rolled my jeans up to use the toilet (very wet and diry floor), I smiled when people fell into me, I cheered and whooped and had a bloody marvelous time quite frankly.

Now moving onto the Magic bus - upon leaving the venue, I looked across the street and saw a bus with the words Magic bus written on the side in large lettering - I said to my friend "shall we get on the Magic bus or is it just for special people"? We both laughed at my enquiry. I was just about to share the total disregard to logic that motivated my Magic bus question but it's much more interesting to allow you to speculate. However, I will say this - sometimes I say things without actively engaging my brain and the outcome of which either produces pure genius or pure ridiculousness. In my opinion, the Magic bus enquiry has elements of both.

We decided not to board the Magic bus but fortunately for us we'd already experienced a metaphor for one - 2 Many DJs took it's audience on a magical journey which even a magic bus would struggle to compete with.



xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi, random messenger here, but couldn't resist. Wasn't Magic Bus an old Who song, and weren't you intrigued to know who was on it? When did 2 Many DJs tour, I have been wanting to see them or Soulwax for years, since Much Against Everyone's Advice in fact. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Richard,

    Thanks for the comment. It was, just checked my best of album. :-))

    I was intrigued to know who was the bus but it was going in the wrong direction so resisted temptation. ;-)

    They played on 6th June - not sure how large the tour was. I'd like to see Soulwax.

    You should check out Sucioperro and Marmaduke duke. Great bands.

    Tc,

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Highlighted post

Feelings start

~Something visceral And beautifully wild Shimmering ripples Beginning inside Not just body Or even heart You sing the songs Th...

Popular content