30 August 2023

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

I feel like The Doctor sometimes.  Probably Matt Smith's incarnation or maybe David Tennant's.  Indeed, I believe it was Tennant that coined the phrase "wibbly wobbly timey wimey". Is it an overstatement to call it a phrase?  Not to Whovians (of which I'm actually not but I do have potential).


Anyway, I think it's fair to say that parenthood turns you into a Time Lord. In other words, it completely messes with the experience of time. It's not linear. It's some kind of weird, instant, looping, time hopping ride of terror.  No Tardis. No sonic screwdriver. No map. I'd say it's like a computer game but I'm pretty sure games have hints and tips. Parents, on the other hand, just have other parents (who also simply guess their way through every transition).

How can it be that my child - who seemingly only yesterday, left the house cutely tucked into her romper suit, gripping her Iggle Piggle - today left the house with 50% attitude and 50% childlike enthusiasm?

I suppose we become more aware of time as parents. It matters more. It also zips by then stands absolutely still.

I wonder if I'll ever get my head around any of it. I wonder if I'll become the Eckhart Tolle edition of mothering: contemplative, calm, wise, pausing between each moment... It seems unlikely but I DO try. I try to just be with what is (even when what is: is a child screaming that the Internet does not work and that I need to fix it). 

So with my magic router resetting skills primed, I keep riding all the waves of motherhood. The joy, worry and temporal glitches all present in roughly equal measures..

Xxx 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Highlighted post

Feelings start

~Something visceral And beautifully wild Shimmering ripples Beginning inside Not just body Or even heart You sing the songs Th...

Popular content